Wednesday 22 June 2011

Tim Roth for Prada

3.39am
EJ: and i'm still awake
Me: still thinking about those prada and dries?


I know I would too, if I had also turned down gifts from an older "friend." EJ's explanation was that he was young and we know we are all foolish when young. I suppose I might have done the same too. But I also suppose the price for integrity, for turning down Dries van Noten suits and Prada sandals as a declaration of self-independence was to be haunted by enameled metal Prada tags later in life on cold dark nights.

The critically acclaimed documentary series Will & Grace devoted one episode to discussing this. Will, played by Eric McCormack who has either retired or doesn't seem to have a career outside of W&G, found himself receiving gifts of expensive art and designer suits from an older gentleman he met at an auction. The "benefactor" explained he simply takes delight in sharing the finer things in life with "friends" who can appreciate them with him. This is an example of how Will appreciates fine things:

Will: Chanel ski boots?? I've always wanted these! I've never needed them! (Will proceeds to squeal and jump in front of benefactor while clenching the boots)

Because Will is a highly successful corporate lawyer, it only takes him over half an episode's air time and incessant prompting from his desperate hausfrau Grace to realise the nature of his relationship with his benefactor. He pointedly asks the benefactor if he wants something more in return. Señor Benefactor becomes hurt at the accusation and asks Will to leave his house sans the Chanel ski boots.

First of all, I didn't know Chanel made ski boots. Second, why would Will be that rude to his benefactor before safely tucking away the Chanel ski boots? Why?

Fortunately balance is restored to our universe when Señor Benefactor quickly finds a replacement friend (an upgrade to Brandon Routh). If an older "friend" wants to deck me in Prada and pet me like a Labrador, I really shouldn't deny the person the pleasure. The challenge is never learning how to appreciate Chanel ski boots - oh I will wear them in Singapore - the challenge is also not how to maintain the shiny enameled relationship without coming off like Will. The challenge is to know your price. Because everyone has a price.

Just ask Tim Roth circa. 1996

"Lie to me and I'll be your best friend"

How Tim Roth started his "hands-in-pocket" stance

Tim Roth practices his signature hooligan walk
Norman Reedus follows suit in 1997. Atta boy!


Sincerely,
Your Patron Saint for Beneficiaries

1 comment: